This is the page where you set up the Event Title, Type of Event, Contact Info, and the Event Details.
There are a lot of fields, but you can ignore most. Focus on the following:
- Event Type: You can only select the Event Type when adding a new sheet. Once that sheet has been saved, you can’t change its event type as the task data is saved differently for each type of event and would not translate properly to a different event type.
- View with Calendar: leave set to No Calendar View.
- Groups: Select most appropriate choice from drop-down. Contact us if you need a new group.
- Customizer Email Options: Use defaults.
- Custom Fields: Use defaults, except for the following:
- 1st/2nd Reminder Days: Set for 7 and 2 (or your choice)
- Allow Duplicate Signup Times: set depending on your needs.
- Contact Info: This is required. We generally do not show this information on the pages. The software uses it to send you alerts.
- Program Event Details: While this is optional, we recommend using it. In effect, you are creating a home page for this event or project. Your description appears above the tasks.
Here is some additional documentation.
- No Signup Event? Checking this box lets you create an event that doesn’t need anyone to sign up, but still lets you create simple tasks/items. This is so you can show other types of events, which don’t require volunteers, in the main sheet list, the widget, or the calendar extension.
- Reminders: You can have up to two automatic email reminders sent out to volunteers. To set up a reminder, simply enter the number of days before the task/event date that you want the email sent. For example, you may want to send out the first set of reminders 7 days before an event/task, and the second set of reminders the day before. If you don’t want any reminders sent, just leave these fields blank or set them to 0. Note that the date that the reminder function checks against is the date for each task, so it works properly for recurring events or multi-day events. If you use an Ongoing even type, these fields won’t have any effect and reminders won’t be sent.
- Clear links and # of days: You can decide if you want to allow volunteers to be able to clear themselves from an item/task they signed up for. Uncheck the box to completely disable the clear links for all signups on the sheet. If you leave it checked, you can also specify a # of days before the event after which they can no longer clear their signups. For example, if you set this to 2 for a task/item scheduled for a Friday, then they can only clear their signups before Wednesday. From Wednesday on the clear link will not be shown. Please note that this only works if your volunteers all have user accounts on your site and if they were logged into their account when they signed up, or, if they weren’t logged in, they used their registered email. They only see the list of items they have signed up for on the main sign-up sheet page if they are logged into their user account.
- Allow Duplicate Signup Times? Allows volunteers to sign-up for different tasks (on the same sheet) that have overlapping times.
- Contact Info: You must enter at least one name and email. Multiple names and emails can be entered by separating each by a comma.
- Program/Event Details: Although this field is optional, it is probably the best place to put all your detailed info about an event that you want to present on a sign-up page.
The page to add or edit tasks/items should also be mostly self-explanatory, but a few things will change depending on the type of event selected.
- For Single and Recurring event types, the first field on the page will be for date/dates. For Single events, you may select only one date with the pop-up date picker. For Recurring events, you can select many dates, but you MUST select at least 2 dates.
- For Multi-Day events, the main difference is that the date field at the top will be removed, and instead each Task/Item will have its own date field, for which you can pick only one date.
- For Ongoing events, you will not see any date fields at all on the add/edit tasks page. Everything else functions the same as above.
You can add and delete tasks by clicking the (+)(-) buttons on any task. You can change the order of tasks by dragging the double-arrow to the left of each task.
The only required fields for Tasks/Items is a name and # of People/Items needed. If you don’t enter a number for # of People/Items needed, the plugin will assume you meant to enter a 1 and fill that in for you when you save the tasks. Other fields are optional.
- Start / End Times: Bear in mind that, if you enter overlapping times, a volunteer who signs up for a morning shift won’t be able to sign up for an afternoon shift if the shift times overlap – unless you have allowed overlapping signups when you set up the sheet.
- Signup Template: Use default.
- Add/Edit Task Description – You can add an optional description for each task. A small textarea input will open where you can add the description. (Advanced users: you can use HTML codes like <b></b> for formatting).
- Enable Quantities: Check if you want to allow someone to sign up several people under their name. The drawback of allowing this is that you never get the name and email of the other volunteers.
- Details Needed – Allows you to ask for one additional piece of information to collect from volunteers. We usually use it to capture tee shirt size.