On December 8th, we celebrate National Pansexual Pride Day and the strides taken by the pansexual and panromantic community to be accepted and understood. Today, many pansexual people refer to themselves as “gender blind” when it comes to their romantic or sexual attraction to others, and is defined as “not limited in sexual choice with regard to biological sex, gender or gender identity.” The term has become more visible in recent years through pop culture as celebrities such as Miley Cyrus and Amandla Stenberg have identified as pansexual. Pansexuality has allowed the LGBTQIA+ community and beyond to push how we view gender, sexuality and romanticism and continues to create a more open and accepting space for everyone to explore their own identities – something we can all celebrate!
- 1914 – The term first appeared as ‘pansexualism,’ and was theorized as sex being “the motivator of all things.”
- 1970’s – The definition was changed and used to describe a sexual orientation after people began using the term as an identity.
- 1990’s – The term ‘sexual fluidity’ was coined and used through the queer community to better understand pansexuality.
- 2010 – The pansexual flag appeared on the internet in the colors pink, yellow and blue. Its purpose was to represent trans, intersex, agender, bigender, third Gender, nonbinary and fluid orientations.
Celebrities Who Are Out as Pansexual
Even though pansexuality is less known in the public consciousness than other sexualities such as gay, lesbian, and bisexual, there are several famous people who are pansexual and out to the public:
- Brendon Urie – lead singer of Panic! at the Disco
- Bella Thorne – actor / singer
- Jojo Siwa – YouTuber / dancer
- Bob the Drag Queen – self-explanatory
- Miley Cyrus – singer / songwriter
- Mary González – American politician (first openly pansexual elected official in the USA)
- Demi Lovato – actor / singer
- Janelle Monáe – singer / rapper / producer / model
- Layla Moran – British politician (first openly pansexual UK parliamentarian)
For More Information