Formal certification programs require a third-party certifier. They typically involve a fee of $200 to $600, supporting paperwork, and a site visit. Their chief advantage is that they offer access to contracting set-asides with government organizations and large businesses. Following are some formal certification designations and links.
- LGBT-Owned Business Enterprise (Certified LGBTBE)
- Minority Business Enterprise (MBE)
- Woman-Owned Small Business (WOSB) / Economical Disadvantaged Woman-Owned Business (EDWOSB)
- Native-American Owned Small Business (NAOSB)
- Veteran-Owned Small Business (VOSB) / Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Businesses (SDVOSB)