Western Carolina University -LGBTQ Working Group *
The mission of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer (LGBTQ) Working Employee Resource Group is to facilitate conversations and actions that increase and sustain an affirming campus climate for individuals and groups from a diversity of gender expressions and sexual orientations.
Targeted Audiences: LGBTQ+ Adults (21+), LGBTQ+ Focused
Western Carolina University -LGBTQ Working Group promotes dialogue around gender and sexuality that are supportive and educational in support of the University mission and values.
To this end, the purposes of the working group include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Identify and analyze the needs and concerns of the LGBTQ community
- Determine opportunities for education of the university community on issues of gender expression and sexual orientation
- Support and optimize existing programs, resources, and organizations that address diversity around gender expression and sexual orientation
- Suggest and assist in designing new programming resources and organizations as necessary
- Provide visibility for LGBTQ individuals, concerns, and conversations
- Advise the administration on policies to promote inclusive and nurturing environments for the LGBTQ community
- Help attract and retain diverse students, faculty, and staff
- Advocate and protect the rights of LGBTQ students, faculty, and staff
In carrying out this mission, we seek and represent a variety of voices from various stakeholders, including students, staff, faculty, alumni, and community members.