The Area Council on Aging and Land of Sky are partnering with Asheville Community Yoga to offer a class for seniors to learn more about fall prevention and risk reduction. The class will start April 3rd and run through May 22nd. This free for adults over 60. Registration is required. Please call 828-255-5575. Registration deadline is March 27th.
A MATTER OF BALANCE: MANAGING CONCERNS ABOUT FALLS
The fear of falling is common among older adults and can increase a person’s risk of falling. A Matter of Balance provides strategies to reduce this fear and increase confidence. Learn practical information for preventing falls, exercises to improve strength and balance, tips for getting off the ground after a fall, how to improve home safety, and more in this eight-session series.
This program is effective for many—Especially—Adults 60+ who are ambulatory, able to problem solve, interested in improving flexibility, balance, and strength, who may have fallen in the past, and have restricted their activities because of concerns about falling —would all be acceptable candidates for A Matter of Balance.
The program is designed to benefit older adults who:
• Are concerned about falls.
• Have sustained falls in the past.
• Restrict activities because of concerns about falling
• Are interested in improving flexibility, balance, and strength.
• Are age 60 or older, community-dwelling, and able to problem-solve.
• View falls as controllable
• Set goals for increasing activity.
• Make changes to reduce fall risk at home.
• Exercise to increase strength and balance.