Verner Center for Early Learning
Verner Center for Early Learning is a nonprofit agency providing high quality, affordable early care and education to over 300 children – birth to five years old – throughout Buncombe County, North Carolina. Through holistic learning environments, we strive to help build a community where every child and family has the opportunity to thrive.
We also provide families with supportive services through programs such as Family Empowerment Program, Rainbow In My Tummy® and individualized case management to families in crisis. We were founded to ensure that all children have access to high quality affordable care.
Our blended program accepts vouchers, as well as private pay families. Verner is also an Early Head Start and North Carolina Pre-Kindergarten provider.
Our three centers are located in East Asheville on Riceville Road, in Central Asheville at Pisgah View, and West Asheville at Montmorenci United Methodist Church in Candler.
Through these three centers, we have 40 highly qualified teachers and teacher’s assistants to care for our children. In addition, Verner also employs support staff and administrative specialists who work with teachers to ensure a child and their family is receiving all the care and services they need.
Our Values and Beliefs
- Diversity, and believe that a rich learning environment is created when all types of people join together with a common vision.
- Play, and believe that play ignites curiosity, enables us to become better explorers and problem solvers, builds stronger relationships, and leads to transformation.
- Respect, and believe that each person has the right to be treated with dignity, always.
- Community, and believe that by providing a safe, welcoming environment, all who enter here feel they have a place where their time, knowledge, experiences, and needs are valued.
- Communication, and believe that trustworthy partnerships are only built through authentic and consistent communication.
- Excellence, and believe it is the product of an unyielding passion for our mission combined with intentional professional development, hard work, diligence, and consistency which can be emulated by others.
- Collaboration, and believe that through strong partnerships we build trust, increase effectiveness and resources, and are more impactful in our work.
- Integrity, and believe in an uncompromising commitment to a high code of honor supported by strong ethical principles.
- Caring, and believe that expressing genuine concern about the needs and feelings of others is a key component of a strong community.
- Children from all socio-economic and ability levels, races, cultures, family types and backgrounds need and deserve high quality, comprehensive early care and education.
- The most effective education of a young child requires the active partnership of family, community and school.
- It is our purpose to nurture the development of the whole child.
- It is our obligation as leaders in the profession, to model best practice for others in order to raise the quality of early care and education for children and families beyond the Verner walls.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging
Our Work Towards our Commitment
- We refine our work through active learning, sharing, and engaging diverse voices in the creation of equitable programs in our community.
- We fight for children’s humanity.
- We expand our programming for children and families with a model program of play-based, child-centered education. Our newest site will be built on the grounds of Emma Elementary School in West Asheville.
- We show up for families and children with a commitment to inclusion, equity, and belonging.
Service Areas: Buncombe